Sunday, September 9, 2012

The Little Sparrow

Edith Piaf – Les Plus Grands Succès
avec l'orchestre Robert Chauvigny
Columbia, C 83 340, Made in Germany
There's nothing unusual or rare about this disc with music of Edith Piaf. Every single song on it I already had on one of my other Piaf records, it was even my third or even fourth copy, or version for some songs on this "greatest hits". The biggest ones are all on it: there's La Vie en Rose, Non, Je ne Regrette Rien, Milord, Les Trois Cloches, and so on. I liked the cover image, green stickers were half off at the Goodwill so I only had to pay 50 cents, and it has been a while since listened to Piaf, so I took it home. And when I played it after all these years since hearing all these songs, I was stunned because of how beautiful these recordings really are. So intense, so timeless, so beautiful. If you're like me and you haven't heard the songs of Edith Piaf for a few years, I recommend to dig into your vinyl collection, go to the French chanson section (or to the the letter P, or to wherever you may have filed Piaf under), and play your Piaf records again. I guarantee you won't be disappointed. Listen to this 1950 recording of Hymne à l'Amour to get you in the mood. And if, by any chance, you're one of the few people in the world who doesn't have a copy of this song, you can download it here.                 

No comments:

Post a Comment