Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Lizzy

Lizzy Mercier Descloux – Press Color
ZE Records, ZEA 33004, 1979, New York
How did this end up in a thrift store in Fort Myers? This would be something you'd find, if at all, in a most specialized 2nd hand record store in New York for about $40. But I wasn't as lucky as it would appear from my opening sentence; there was no vinyl inside! I looked inside every record in the store for the slight chance it was misfiled, three times over, no it wasn't there. From excited to disappointed I went to the cash register and the lady behind it was fair to give half off the one dollar price tag. Two of the songs on the record I have in CD format on N.Y No Wave: The Ultimate East Village 80's Soundtrack. Torso Corso below is one of them, and it's enough to keep wanting the original album. Maybe one day I'll get lucky. In the meanwhile I'm happy to have the two songs on CD and the original jacket to the LP.
Lizzy Mercier Descloux was born in Paris in 1956, moved to New York in 1977, became friends with Patti Smith, Richard Hell, and pretty much everybody else of note in the scene. The heroine of minimalist New Wave (or No Wave) recorded two albums before returning to France where she practiced as an artist and writer. She died of cancer in 2004.

No comments:

Post a Comment