Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Children's pop

Quetcy Alma "La Lloroncita" Ahora te toca a ti
Pop Art LP-152
Pop Art Records, New York
I talked about children's songs before but I focused solely on traditional play songs. Those songs that evolved through the times and that were conceived by children, they were games. Adults wouldn't pay any attention to them. But there is also a very different type of children's song, the kind that is created by adults and made for adults. It's called pop music and children can be a commercial asset in that world. Companies bank in on the cuteness and innocence of children, often with making them sing lyrics that are quite risque.  I used to not pay attention to either of those categories but a person can change (perhaps it's a sign of getting older) and now I pay equal attention. I've given up on age discrimination so to say. There have always been child stars, it's a whole chapter in the history of recorded music. Every country, every era, every style has its popular child performer, boys and girls alike. Careers that of course are not meant to last. This record here of Quetcy Alma was given the "happy-sad" concept, like the Tim Buckley Happy, Sad LP with the two sides of Tim Buckley on the sleeves. Quetcy Alma is a Puerto Rican girl (woman I should say) from New York. Apparently she lives in Brooklyn and joined the Jehovah Witnesses. Occasionally she performs.
Since I figured out how to embed an audio file to these posts, I haven't offered them for download anymore, but I'll make them available again. Just click here for this one, or let me know if you want something from any of the records I've written about.
The song I picked is the title track from the LP Ahora te toca a ti. Hope you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment