Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Yoyoy

07 Granada.m4a
Yoyoy is Barok (LP sleeve)
Plaka Pilipino, TSP-5244
Victor Music Co. 1978
Popular records from the 1970s from other countries than the US and the UK can be really pretty bad (well, records from the US and UK can be bad too, but maybe not quite as pathetic). One of the worst countries I've encountered in that respect is the Philippines. When I saw over forty records at a thrift store just off McGregor Boulevard that were printed in the Philippines, I had the suspicion that none of them would be very good. I was right alright, but it didn't keep me from buying no less than twenty-two discs anyway (if you like what you hear here, the other twenty-two are still there, you should go get them—only fifty cents a piece!) Bad or not; I'm quite happy with my little collection of Philippine records.  My take on the collection is that at one point the Philippines aspired to be like Hawaii (and their music as popular as Hawaiian music once was). Some records are sung in Filipino and others in English. The record above by Yoyoy Villame is a mix of both (Filenlish). I had to have it, for obvious reasons, even though I knew it was going to be a bad one. Don't expect any miracles here but it wasn't as bad as I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment